I checked out the video Stay alive! a guide to survival in mountainous areas from my local library.
Random comments after watching:
- According to the host, Preston Westmoreland, if you have ever heard the idea that you could add whiskey to water to clean the water than that is not true. Ummmmm, I have never heard that, in fact if one googles adding whiskey to water what one discovers is that most feel this is a waste of good whiskey.
- The video visits with Peter Bigfoot, which is awesome because I really like that guy. Bigfoot covers the edible plants of the desert.
July is the best time to eat Saguaro fruit.
- Peter also eats the hedgehog, he mentions it is better with salt, hey that’s what I said! The hedgehog cactus might be a quarter of its size in summer.
- Some plants are poisonous for some of the year and then not poisonous for other parts of the year. Great.
- 90% of prickly pear plants are poisonous, yikes, only eat the fruit, that was the next plant I was going to try so I am glad I watched the video first.
- Mesquite is the “mother tree” of the desert. He does not elaborate on why it is the mother tree.
- To clean water use 2 drops bleach per quart.
- If one ever needs to make a fire to signal for help while stranded in the desert, the black tubing in your engine makes for good black smoke.
- Thank god tube socks are out of fashion.